Saturday, December 25, 2010

Thurber Tonight: The Pet Department (5)

>


More from "The Pet Department," following Parts (1), (2), (3), and (4) -- Ken

The Pet Department

Q. My oldest boy, Ford Maddox Ford Griswold, worked this wooden horse lose from a merry-go-round one night when he and some other young people were cutting up. Could you suggest any use for it in a family of five?
MRS. R. L. S. GRISWOLD

A. I cannot try the patience of my public nor waste my own time dealing with the problems of insensate animals. Already I have gone perhaps too far afield in the case of stuffed birds and cast-iron lawn dogs. Pretty soon I should be giving advice on wire-haired fox terrier weather vanes.

§

Q. Mr. Jennings bought this beast when it was a pup in Montreal for a St. Bernard, but I don't think it is. It's grown enormously and is stubborn about letting you have anything, like the bath towel it has its paws on, and the hat, both of which belong to Mr. Jennings. He got it that bowling ball to play with but it doesn't seem to like it. Mr. Jennings is greatly attached to the creature.
MRS. FANNY EDWARDS JENNINGS

A. What you have is a bear. While it isn't my bear, I should recommend that you dispose of it. As these animals grow older, they get more and more adamant about letting you have anything, until finally there might not be anything in the house you could call your own -- except possibly the bowling ball. Zoos use bears. Mr. Jennings could visit it.

§

Q. Sometimes my dog does not seem to know me. I think he must be crazy. He will draw away, or show his fangs, when I approach him.
H. M. MORGAN, Jr.

A. So would I, and I'm not crazy. If you creep up on your dog the way you indicate in the drawing, I can understand his viewpoint. Put your shirt in and straighten up; you look as if you had never seen a dog before, and that is undoubtedly what bothers the animal. These maladjustments can often be worked out by the use of a little common sense.


TOMORROW NIGHT: The Ladies' and Gentlemen's Guide to Modern English Usage: IV. Only and One


THURBER TONIGHT: Check out the series to date

#

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home