Thursday, May 04, 2017

Paul Ryan Needs An Electoral Opponent-- And We're Very Close To Announcing One

>


Once again-- as it's done every two years like clockwork since Pelosi gained control over the committee-- the DCCC has moved to protect Paul Ryan's reelection. A swingy southeast Wisconsin district that Obama won in 2008, 51-48%, WI-01 offers an obvious Democratic target-- one the DCCC habitually refuses to consider, even going so far as to sabotage local candidates and asking institutional Democratic donors to cut off their funding. WI-01 is not on the DCCC target lists this year, despite the fact that Paul Ryan is the single most disliked and mistrusted politician in America.

Goal Thermometer Blue America has been working hard to recruit a solid candidate-- as have several other groups, first and foremost the Wisconsin Working Families Party. Everyone is afraid of the DCCC. But then two separate and very trusted friends, former candidate Rob Zerban and local state Senator Chris Larson, suggested I talk with Randy Bryce a union and Democratic party grassroots activist. I did and I urged him to write a guest post-- even before he has definitively made up his mind-- so DWT readers will be ahead of the game when he does. If you like what he has to say, please consider making a contribution at the Stop Paul Ryan ActBlue page on the right. All money that come sin on this page is used for one purpose and one purpose only-- dislodging Paul Ryan. He doesn't deserve another term. And we don't care how Nancy Pelosi and her corrupted DCCC look at it. 2018 is a good year for this battle to be fought. Do you agree? You can follow Randy on Twitter @IronStache


Currently I’m Leaning Right Into It
-by Randy Bryce


My name is Randy Bryce. I live in Caledonia, Wisconsin. (just north of city of Racine/south of Milwaukee) I’m quite sure everyone is aware of what has happened to Wisconsin the past few years. In addition to everything horrible that has been happening to us thanks to the extremists who have taken over the Republican Party on a state level, I have been doubly “blessed” to also reside within Wisconsin’s 1st Congressional District-- a seat currently held by Paul Ryan.

I don’t need to tell you that the man needs to go. I’ve been trying. I realize that throwing my “Union Thug” t-shirt over the corner of the television during the President’s “state of the state” address only temporarily makes things a little better by not having to watch the definition of “smug.”

Fact is, Paul Ryan has been neglecting this district. It has been hundreds of days since he had a town hall event where “We, the People” could interact with him. Mr. Ryan has not just been bringing pain onto those of us in Wisconsin’s 1st CD, but, is literally trying to bring pain and most certainly a higher mortality rate to everyone in the entire United States through his attempts at repealing the Affordable Care Act.

Thankfully, although the Republicans hold just about every majority to be held (aside from majority of Americans having voted for Trump), their incompetence will not allow for them to cooperate.

My intent with writing this isn’t to just slam Speaker of the House Paul Ryan. I want to repeal and replace him with someone who wants to be a part of Wisconsin’s 1st CD.

A little bit about me:

I currently pay my bills with my day job of being a proud union iron worker. I’ve been a dues paying member of Iron Workers Local 8 for twenty years. I’ve been an elected officer of the executive board for the past eight years. I’ve been the only one to hold the (volunteer) position of political coordinator-- going on nine years. I’ve had the pleasure of literally building America. I’ve been under, in, and, on top of most of the infrastructure in southeastern Wisconsin. Not only do I notice daily what kind of condition our infrastructure is in, but, I know how to fix it.

In addition to being active within my local union, I was also elected for a term to sit on the Milwaukee Area Labor Council’s executive board. I did not seek reelection this past term in order to concentrate my efforts more locally with the results of our 2016 general November election. I am secretary for the Racine County Labor Council. Our numbers are growing, and, we look forward to being involved with the community.

I’m a U.S. army veteran. I spent three years on active duty-- 1983-86. Most of that time was spent at Ft. Bragg, NC as part of the XVIII Airborne Corps. Rapid Deployment Force. I was deployed to Central America when things were “interesting” in that part of the world.

Upon being honorably discharged, I returned to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. One of my first jobs was helping homeless veterans. It’s my opinion that the words “homeless” and “veteran” should never be used in the same sentence. We freed up resources that were only available to veterans so that other resources could be better allocated.

I’m currently Chair for the Veteran Caucus of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin. I was also privileged to be part of another terrific group-- the Wisconsin Veterans Chamber of Commerce. I’m currently president of that organization. In our second year of operation, we have been able to put on a full time executive director. (He’s the one who does all of the work.) We advocate for veteran-owned and veteran friendly businesses.

In addition to labor and veteran issues, I’m involved with local politics. I’m currently 1st vice chair for Racine County Dems. As part of the WisDems “Red to Blue”program that helps take the fight into gerrymandered districts, I was a “mentor” this past cycle. I have run previously for state assembly/senate in heavily gerrymandered areas.

Lastly, but far from the least on a personal level, I’m a dad. I have a ten year old son who lights up my world. He’s been on more picket lines than 80% of my union brothers/sisters. He’s a reminder of why I am involved.

I voted for Bernie in Wisconsin’s primary. I had the honor of being asked to speak at his rally when he stopped in the area. For the general election I was asked to be an elector-- part of the electoral college-- to cast a vote for Hillary.

More recently I have been involved with Voces de la Frontera, an immigrants’ rights group that is expanding from Milwaukee into Racine. They were able to put out over 30,000 people in Milwaukee streets for May Day.

Lately-- in a very surreal setting-- people, groups, mentors, electeds have been asking if I would think about running against Paul Ryan. A friend of mine, Rob Zerban ran against him in 2012-14. I know what will take place. Obama took the district in 2008.

My reply up until a few weeks ago had been “I’m not saying no at this point.”

Currently I’m leaning right into it.

I’m looking around at the special elections and how the rest of America got tired of being poked with a stick. We stopped licking those November election wounds, and, are on our feet. Locally, I see more grassroots groups springing up everywhere. Many are newer faces joining the rest of us that have been active since Walker’s Act 10. It’s great to see.

I am thankful for those who have already committed to help out. Too many of us here in Wisconsin are fully aware that Scott Walker’s anti worker extreme agenda is now being taken to the national stage under Trump. In addition, now the Wisconsin GOP feel emboldened to get even more extreme with a friend in the White House. As this is written more laws are being passed whose only intent is to punish us for how we vote.

I see the upcoming election as the best chance that not only the 1st CD, but, the entire country can get rid of Paul Ryan. As an iron worker I know what hard work is. Iron workers have a saying-- “when I hear can’t, it means you won’t.”

I sincerely look forward to all of us getting to know each other a lot better.


UPDATE: Ryan's TrumpCare 3.0 "Healthcare" Bill

The vote is in a few hours. The Republicans claim they have the votes they need to pass it. But do they? Ryan's Chief Whip, Steve Scalise is notorious for being unable to count past 100. So they put Patrick McHenry in as a "backup." Problem with McHenry is that he's delusional and tells Scalise, McCarthy and Ryan what they want to hear. The Republicans who will decide whether or not the bill passes are the ones who have serious opponents. Republicans who the DCCC never challenge, know they have nothing to worry about in terms of accountability. The dozen key congressmen who are under pressure from their home districts and who are facing serious reelection problems are the ones who have held out and refused to say where they stand-- in the hope the whole thing will fall apart and they'll never have to take a definitive stand. The percentage next to their name represents how much of the vote Trump took in their districts.)
Darrell Issa (CA-49)- 43.2%
Carlos Curbelo (FL-26)- 40.6%
Will Hurd (TX-23)- 46.4%
Steve Knight (CA-25)- 43.6%
Mike Coffman (CO-06)- 41.3%
David Valadao (CA-21)- 39.7%
John Faso (NY-19)- 50.8%
Erlk Paulsen (MN-03)- 41.4%
Bruce Poliquin (ME-02)- 51.4%
Dana Rohrabacher (CA-48)- 46.2%
Elise Stefanik (NY-21)- 53.9%
John Culberson (TX-07)- 47.1%

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Tom Wakely said...

I lived in Walworth county in Ryan's district for several decades. There are a number of Progressive activists still living there who I know would be more than willing to jump into a race to replace ryan.

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheese-for-brains only vote Republican.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Madison, Wisconsin had the third largest turn -out for the Women's March. Impressive for a mid sized city. WI wa a progressive state and almost always votes blue nationally. Don't ask me what happened... Please be mindful that most states are more complex than right/left, ignorant/educated-wise.

As a person from this state I'm deeply confused and angry that we have horrific leaders like Ryan and will support any opportunities to fire him.

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You liberal, facist, dumbocrats are brainless scum. YOU don't care about working people...real working people who are NOT stupid union crybabies...and you don't care about the great people who give jobs. You stupid idiot liberals...give me everything WHINERS who don't have the first clue about how to CREATE jobs and/ or a COMPANY THAT HIRES PROPLE....you'll never learn...because you don't listen ( & can't understand anything anyway) Get out of this country...You've all but destroyed everything our founders did to settle this country...& make sure the constitution protected us from you stupid idiot fascist liberals. WE REPUBLICANS HAVE ALWAYS HAD TO BRING SENSE BACK TO THE COUNTRY!!!! It's EASY....DUMBOCRATS. GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS COUNTRY!!!!!! GO LIVE WITH YOUR EVIL FASCIST IDIOT BRETHREN...RUSSIA, IRAN, VENEZUELA, MEXICO!!!!! See how those people love your evil ways. (You won't live 2 weeks over there) you're ungrateful IDIOTS!!!!! WE don't want you here...& YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE IN THIS COUNTRY!!!!

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Billie Mc........ said...

As a retired union worker, I am bewildered by Ryan's desire to get rid of Social Security and Medicare. I have made payments to these programs and believe it is part of my retirement. Please educate our voters about things they ignore. There are a lot of low and middle income people who do not vote. They don't know the facts and don't believe their vote would make any difference anyway. Most get their news from Fox and I am finding the news is so biased to this President. I am a Wisconsin voter from the North west part and We need better information sources. A lot of people can't afford anything but basic TV. and don't have viable sources for factual information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home